ABOUT THE PRODUCT
The Wellbrook Model ALA1530LN-2 and DX Engineering (Pixel/Inlogis) Model RF PRO-1B magnetic loops are both good amplified receive antennas. However, they are both expensive and difficult to connect to a transceiver lacking a separate receive-antenna input. At $295 and including transmit/receive switch, the W6LVP loop addresses both of these issues. Shipping the Wellbrook antenna from the UK to the US adds another $100.
The W6LVP loop antenna system at $295 including a transmit/receive antenna switch is the best value.
If your rig has a separate receive antenna input, checkout my antenna for you. If you live in the shadow of one or more powerful AM broadcast transmitters, contact me for information on a solution for you. Please reach out to me via CONTACT with any questions.
W6LVP amplified receive-only magnetic loop antenna (boy is that mouthful):
- The W6LVP mag loop is a complete receive antenna system delivering top-of-the-line performance to amateur radio operators and SWLs. Particularly for those with space and/or budget limitations. It is a great complement to small vertical or wire transmit antennas. You have a knob to turn up the power but don’t have one to turn up the received S/N.
- Ten foot circumference (approximately 1 meter diameter) loop. Small size yields a natural stealth for HOA challenges. The loop is rigid enough to maintain its shape but flexible for portable transport or attic installation.
- Includes a low-noise, broadband amplifier covering 2200 (135 kHz) through 10 meters (30 MHz) with no tuning or adjustment. Great for contesters to quickly check all bands. Greater coverage is possible at reduced performance.
- Light-weight antenna support fabricated from furniture-grade PVC yields a strong but very light antenna weighing only 2 pounds (not including transmit/receive switch or power adapter). Great for both portable/camping as well as fixed installations. Light weight and small size make for lower shipping cost – particularly compared to shipping from the UK.
- The W6LVP mag loop includes a combination transmit/receive antenna switch and power inserter for the loop amplifier which enables a receive antenna to be easily used with transceivers, such as the popular Icom IC-7300, lacking a separate receive antenna input. The W6LVP loop is equally friendly with receivers or transceivers with receive antenna inputs. The transmit/receive switch supports up to 100 watts transmit power but also works with a separate high-power amplifier.
- Directly compatible with a low-cost speaker tripod stand (not included) for portable operation.
- Compatible with light-duty rotator (recommended) for fixed operation. Loop can be rotated to null interference by up to 30 dB or enhance desired signals.
- Includes low-noise linear power adapter to generate clean 12 volts for the transmit/receive switch and loop amplifier. Unlike the DX Engineering antenna which requires 24 VAC, power can be easily supplied by 12 volt batteries during portable operation.
- The W6LVP mag loop transmit/receive switch does not support QSK.